TranslatorPub

TranslatorPub.com Forum

Back To TranslatorPub.Com

Forum Home | Forum Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Welcome to TranslatorPub.Com!
 CAT Tool Help
 The perfect CAT Tool

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is OFF
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Stefan Posted - 03/07/2009 : 05:53:05
Hi all,

there are so many CAT Tools available. All with different features / different approaches. But I would like to know your thoughts regarding "the PERFECT CAT Tool" for translators and translation projects...

I´m looking forward to your thoughts on this! Thank you.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stanislav_Pokorny Posted - 03/08/2009 : 16:22:38
One more hint:
Perhaps across (www.across.net) might be a good option. It is free for freelancers and this free version includes all the functions you could possibly need. However, there are a few points for you to consider:
1. across works on a database server basis, i.e. it will install Microsoft SQL Server on your machine; this requires a lot of space (approx. 1.5 GB) on your HDD and will consume a great amount of your machine's hardware resources;
2. The SQL Server is free, i.e. the amount of data it can store is limited to 4 GB.
3. If you find Trados complicated, across will be a real hell.

Stanislav_Pokorny Posted - 03/08/2009 : 14:25:09
Hi Stefan,
please refer to this thread for a more or less complete list of the different CAT tools, as the market is much more than just WordFast and Trados (http://www.translatorpub.com/sections/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118).
As for Trados, SDL plc use the forum http://ideas.sdltrados.com where you can vote for ideas of other Trados users or suggest ideas of your own. SDL occasionally selects some of the most-voted ideas for further development.
WordFast has discontinued further development of the Word template (AKA WordFast Classic) and is now developing a standalone version AKA WordFast Pro.
If you are looking for a tool (or rather a set of tools) for complex localization projects, the new SDL Trados Freelance Suite contains also Passolo Essential, a WYSIWYG localization tool. I have very good experience with using RC Wintrans (www.schaudin.com) + Trados.
I don't think Trados is complicated, but that's a matter of personal experience and/or preference. The brand-new WordFast Pro has still many bugs and I don't recommend buying it at the moment.
You can also try TransitNXT which features a localization module with a graphic editor for .NET and JAVA projects.

I cannot really generalise the "get-rid-of-problems" question, as this is strictly individual. Each CAT tool has problems of its own and you will find them once you have used this or that tool for a while.

I hope this helps at least a little.

Stefan Posted - 03/08/2009 : 13:47:33
Hi - thanks a lot. My intention is to know more about the needs translators have with CAT Tools. Trados is famous, but in the beginning quite complicated. Wordfast is not bad, but for complex localization projects not suitable, etc.

My question is, if you all could force the providers to add new features or get rid of problems, what would them be?
Stanislav_Pokorny Posted - 03/08/2009 : 13:17:22
Hi Stefan,
I believe the "PERFECT CAT TOOL" is the one that suits your needs best. There is none single perfect CAT tool. There is a number of different CAT tools, all of them having their pros and cons.
If I were to oppose Muhammad's opinion, I would highlight the poor filters Trados uses for conversion of the different file formats into TagEditor and - especially - back into the original format. So, the recommended process is try and buy. BTW, you can use other CAT tools to work on Trados projects, provided your project manager is technically competent enough to allow you to do so.

Muhammad_Atalla Posted - 03/07/2009 : 14:23:20
Hello Stefan,

I think Trados is the most perfect CAT; it is the most famous too.

Chris
Chris

Fundraiser

Chris

Beta

Chris

Site Sponsor

translatorpub

Return to Old
User Interface

YouTube YouTube YouTube

©TranslatorPub.com 2024 All Rights Reserved.
Mail comments and suggestions to info@translatorpub.com | Privacy Policy | Sitemap.

Paypal     Paypal
Paypal     Paypal
Paypal