Password:
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome to TranslatorPub.Com!
 Translation Help - SOS -
 Shady Company?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic  Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

kchikwava
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  07:45:13  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi all,

I completed a translation for GK International on December 6th and sent out a PayPal generated invoice on December 7th. I have sent a number of reminders already since the 30 day deadline for payment has been up. I have heard NOTHING! The job is worth $300, so I am really frustrated! The whole experience of working with them was not pleasant either. They were very unprofessional and kept changing the parameters of the job and requesting that I complete the work more quickly than the originally agreed upon time frame.

Has anyone else worked with this company? If so, how did you get them to pay you? HELP!!!

Thanks,

Krista

enterpermi
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  10:02:43  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
300$ is not much but it is too much. As I finished some translation job, I was waiting for 5 months to get my money (app. 900 euros).

Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  20:48:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Please refer to http://www.translatorpub.com/sections/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=136 and support this idea. That's the only way of protecting ourselves from fraudulent "translation agencies".

Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  10:36:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Krista,
I'm sorry for your experience. I think this is exactly why an outsourcers blueboard should be created here, so translators can rate and view the company's (non)payment practices.
Here are some of my "best practices":
1. Check the company profile on other sites. If you cannot find it there, don't accept the job. There's high probability the company has been banned from the site for its fraudulent behaviour.
2. Never accept a job from companies registered in countries too distant from your place. I apply the following rule: if I can't get to the agency's country of residence at one third the job value, I never accept the job. The farthest distance I am willing to travel from the Czech Republic to collect my money personally is the UK/France. I will only accept a job from e.g. an American agency if I can see they have an excellent rating on other sites.
3. Never accept a job from companies registered in countries you might have any difficulties to get to (e.g. it is difficult to obtain the visa etc.). That's why I never accept jobs from Chinese, Indian, Japanese, Egyptian, Nigerian (most of them scammers anyway) etc. outsourcers.
4. Never accept checks. Only accept wire transfer or online payment (PayPal, Moneybookers, whatever is more convenient for you). They may send you a check that becomes void long before it reaches you. They will claim afterwards to have paid you in full by sending you a check. Very dangerous; learnt my lesson myself with an American guy in the past. Fortunately, it was only $60.
5. If the agency PM contacts you from a public e-mail domain (such as Yahoo, Gmail or Hotmail), don't even bother to reply. Most likely you would be dealing with a scammer who is not worth your precious time.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Stanislav

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic  Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Chris
Chris

Fundraiser

Chris

Beta

Chris

Site Sponsor

translatorpub

Return to Old
User Interface

YouTube YouTube YouTube

©TranslatorPub.com 2024 All Rights Reserved.
Mail comments and suggestions to info@translatorpub.com | Privacy Policy | Sitemap.

Paypal     Paypal
Paypal     Paypal
Paypal