Password:
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome to TranslatorPub.Com!
 General Discussion/Chat
 How do you find work??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Kaata
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  07:02:00  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi,
I am quite new on such sites, but for me its still mysterious - how to find work???
My language is not very common in the world and so its very-very hard to find something...
What about you and your language?

Stefan

240 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  08:28:40  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Kaata, nice to meet you and welcome to TranslatorPub.com. What languages are you working in?
Go to Top of Page

Kaata
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  01:58:28  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Stefan, my language pair is English-Estonian.
(and Russian-Estonian).
Of course, there are estonian works in the forums, but mostly they dont even answer....

Go to Top of Page

cocoalate
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  10:15:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This is a fake site, never buy the membership, or if you did... then you cant even ask questions from the owners. As much as I see. Wanna block me? Go ahead, there is nothing to lose!

Go to Top of Page

Eurolinguistics
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  19:59:27  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
hehe i think cocoalate is right - i am a member but.... no jobs, no answers. i work in romanian, hungarian, english and polish so it shouldnt be a trouble to find projects right?

Go to Top of Page

Alex_H

15 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  07:14:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Kaata, are you a starting out translator? If you are then my advice would be work on your applications, references and translation experience. Also provide a competitive rate in order to acquire some work. The reason why new translators struggle to get work is usually - inexperience. A company would prefer to employ an established/reliable translator. This is not to say that any of the new translators are unreliable however some companies would not waste their time on finding that out if there are established professionals available. As I said earlier, try a more competitive rate in order to secure some work. Many professional translators had to keep their “day job” for at least three years before gaining enough translation work to support their living. At the end of the day this website only hosts the job offers and is not responsible for the employers or translators and their actions. I hope it was of some help, best of luck .

p.s in reply to the "fake site" post: the job notifications are sent via automated service as it clearly states in each email notification. For those who are still unclear: an automated reply = generated automatically by the server NOT people.

If you have questions, there is a list of moderators (real people) whom you are more than welcome to email with coherent and polite queries. Thank you
Go to Top of Page

laura1984
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  08:57:35  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi all!I'm brand new...I've just graduated, and even if i often did translations for private clients, I'm completely new in the field of agencies and freelance worldAny suggestion?

Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  20:28:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
So the paying members think their mailboxes will be overflowing with new jobs and projects right after paying the membership fee? Wake up, guys, or stop sniffing Coke at least! You have to be active, active, and - active. Activity means registering in other translator directories (you don't always have to pay full membership to receive job notifications) and registering at the websites of the different agencies. Activity IS NOT sitting on your buttocks and waiting for the jobs to arrive. After eight years in the business, I believe I know what I'm talking about.
Kaata, English - Estonian should be pretty attractive ever since Estonia joined the EU. Be active and you'll find enough work.
Cocolate, this doesn't seem to be a fake site, it seems to be a young one. So give it some time to establish itself among the "old sharks". Nobody forces you to buy the membership, so I don't quite understand your pretty arrogant post.
@ moderators: Do you like such accusations being waved at you? I would give such a poster a pre-ban and if he/she does not behave, a permanent ban. That's the only way of keeping the site clean and teaching posters to stick to the topic to produce quality.

Go to Top of Page

Kaata
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  03:10:12  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you Stanislav for your kind answer, although I cant understand your coke story...
By the way, I am not sitting on my buttocks and I have pretty much work (long term agreements in Estonia and also in EU countries). I wasnt complaining that I dont have nothing to do and maybe some Stanislavs can help me, I was just asking about others oppinion, experiences etc...) So sorry, Stanislav, that your anger dosnt let you understand the aim of my post.
Anyhow, it was very intriguing to see such a dyspeptic answer.
My best regards and more tolerance :-)
PS. Alex H and Stefan, thanks, your comments were really nice and helpful :-)

Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  05:05:38  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Kaata, I was by no means angry, believe me. I'm usually very far from that, except when I read a post like "How do I save a bilingual file in Trados". :) But I've already learnt to reply to such posts with a simple "RTFM".
If I am not mistaken, you initially wrote:
quote:
My language is not very common in the world and so its very-very hard to find something...

This does sound like complaining about not having enough work, doesn't it?
quote:
I am quite new on such sites, but for me its still mysterious - how to find work???

These three quotation marks make your post sound pretty desperate.
So rather than my non-existent anger, it may have been your inappropriate wording that made me think you were looking for more job opportunities. BTW, what you call "anger" is what I call "being straightforward". My reply about sitting on the buttocks was meant at "cocolate" and "Eurolinguistics" anyway.

Kaata, if you have a look at ProZ or TC, you will see that posts like "this site's a fake" have no chance. Such posts are 1) off-topic, 2) offensive towards the site owners, 3) bringing nothing. That's why I say such posts should be removed and their authors banned from the site if they don't behave. Isn't that what being a moderator is about in the first place?

I am usually tolerant enough (read this thread and you'll see that I am http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/128864-starting_translation_trados_seems_not_to_work_with_word_no_trados_toolbar_in_word.html), but not towards posts accusing the site owners of being fraudulent.

I'm more than happy you have a lot to do these days.

Kind regards,

Stanislav

Edited by - Stanislav_Pokorny on 03/04/2009 05:50:41
Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  05:10:14  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
PS: read the whole story, i.e. both pages.

Go to Top of Page

Chet0012
Administrator

19 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  09:01:05  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Cocolate has been sending us e-mails at the administration e-mail with a high level of rudeness and unprofessionalism and was digusted with us for not answering e-mails within 4 hours on sunday evening. Clearly, "our fault". Having said that, we provided him/her with a full refund, and asked that they not use our website anymore, as we would prefer to work with professionals only.

Stanislav makes good points - getting work is never a "hand-out" and will always take quite a lot of efforts, an artisian approach to bidding for jobs, and above all, the professional abilities to do the work correctly!

Very best,

- Chris K.

-----------------
Working hard to take the lead in online language websites!
Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  10:10:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Chris,
I'm glad you understand my points. I hope you can filter such "cocolates" out and will build a community of professionals. I'll be more than happy to take part in this process.

Good luck!

Stanislav

Edited by - Stanislav_Pokorny on 03/04/2009 10:11:43
Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  11:20:21  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
hehe i think cocoalate is right - i am a member but.... no jobs, no answers. i work in romanian, hungarian, english and polish so it shouldnt be a trouble to find projects right?

The best thing would be if you could belay such posts. The forums are browsed even by potential outsourcers (to learn more about the community's professionalism), and if they read a few similar posts, they will leave this website and never come back. Perhaps your post has already discouraged a few potential outsourcers looking for your language pairs.

Edited by - Stanislav_Pokorny on 03/04/2009 11:21:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Chris
Chris

Fundraiser

Chris

Beta

Chris

Site Sponsor

translatorpub

Return to Old
User Interface

YouTube YouTube YouTube

©TranslatorPub.com 2024 All Rights Reserved.
Mail comments and suggestions to info@translatorpub.com | Privacy Policy | Sitemap.

Paypal     Paypal
Paypal     Paypal
Paypal