Password:
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome to TranslatorPub.Com!
 General Discussion/Chat
 Rates.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

laura1984
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  07:42:11  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi all!I need some suggestions and advices...as I'm quite new in the freelancers' world, how much do you normally quote per word?
My language pairs ar English, French and Spanish>Italian...
Do you think 0.05 as minimum rate is ok?
I always worked for private clients and we arranged the price depending on the topic, the lenghth...
Tnx all for your replies!

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  11:26:45  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Laura,
this is hard to tell, and I suggest that you browse the Italian web to find some freelancers and their rates. I personally charge €0.06 per word in English/German => Czech translations, but the situation is very different in every country. There is no universal rate.
But you might be interested in my opinion, i.e. a freelancer's and an outsourcer's opinion at the same time:
Don't distinguish prices according to topics. As an outsourcer, I want to know at what rates a freelancer works. Period. Either he/she can work with the topic, or he/she cannot. Another period. As an outsourcer, I try not to negotiate any discounts from my freelancers in the case of larger projects, but on the other hand, as a freelancer I don't submit to the pressure put on rates by agencies. Do you have a 150k words project? Okay, I can give you €0.055 instead of €0.06. Want less? Okay, go somewhere else. I ain't working for free.
I hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

laura1984
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  12:14:09  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
yes, thanks a lot...That's just for that I asked for general rates, and I always negotate price with the clients...cause i know agencies quote unbelievable prices...normally in Italy (I knew this from the experience of my former lecturers), rates are about 0.06 p/w as your rates...Asking 0.05 it's not for selling myself, but for trying starting out... ;)

Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  12:47:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, that's definitely a good idea. But remember: it is always much more difficult to raise your rates than to drop them. ;)

Edited by - Stanislav_Pokorny on 03/12/2009 17:21:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Chris
Chris

Fundraiser

Chris

Beta

Chris

Site Sponsor

translatorpub

Return to Old
User Interface

YouTube YouTube YouTube

©TranslatorPub.com 2024 All Rights Reserved.
Mail comments and suggestions to info@translatorpub.com | Privacy Policy | Sitemap.

Paypal     Paypal
Paypal     Paypal
Paypal